By Frances (Hoffman) Hutmacher – Winnipeg, Man.
Peter and Anna (Lamberts) Hoffman came to Canada from the Midwestern States in 1903 with seven children. They took up a homestead about three miles northwest of what is now the town of Bruno, Sask.
After Grandpa Hoffman received the title for the homestead in 1906, he donated an acre of land to build a school.
He built the school and taught in it for one year until they could hire a qualified teacher because he believed all children should have the opportunity to receive an education. He had taught in Germany before immigrating to the United States.
In his honour, the school was named Hoffman School. Hoffman Avenue in the town of Bruno was also named after him.
Grandpa Hoffman made the bricks for the chimney of his home and the school out of the clay soil of his land. Shortly after that, brick manufacturing was started about two miles west of Bruno along the CNR tracks.
When Bruno Clay Works was operating at full capacity, it could manufacture a minimum of 450,000 face bricks or 510,000 common bricks each month.
In 1947, the plant was sold to the Alsop Brick and Tile Company of Winnipeg.
Grandma Anna Hoffman cooked for several years for the men who stayed at the Bruno Clay Works while they worked there.